Surgery Patients Instructions
When you have decided to proceed with surgery, we want you to have the best experience and outcome possible. We perform our surgeries whenever possible at the Surgery Center at the Forum which specializes in eye surgery and provides optimal peri-operative care for our patients.
With this goal in mind, please read the following important instructions. If desired, you may print out this instruction sheet.
Surgery Instruction Sheet - Printable
- You will need someone to drive you home from the surgery center and care for you for the first 24 hours after your surgery.
- Pick up your filled drop prescriptions and bring them with you to the surgery. Do NOT use prior to surgery.
- Please stop all blood thinning medications such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, and other NSAIDS, Plavix, Coumadin, and Effient one week prior to surgery. If your surgery is within a week, please stop them immediately. Stop Eliquis and Xarelto 48 hours prior to surgery. If the medication is prescribed by a physician, you will need to contact them to approve of discontinuation.
- The night before your surgery, take nothing by mouth after midnite or as directed by surgical staff when they call you. Also, no gum chewing or smoking.
- You will have a post-operative visit at our office 1-2 days after surgery.
If the above instructions are not adhered to, your surgery may need to be cancelled.
If we will be placing a gas bubble during surgery, consider obtaining the positioning equipment to make your recovery more comfortable and successful. You will be given brochures on good sources.
If your surgery is non-urgent, it is possible that your surgery may be postponed in the event of an emergency.
Staff from the Surgery Center will call you prior to surgery to let you know what time you need to arrive the day of surgery and review the pre-op instructions.
If you have an Advanced Directive, please bring this with you.
If you develop cold symptoms or other medical issues, please contact Dr. Keithahn at 573-777-8738 immediately so that it may be addressed early enough to avoid rescheduling your surgery.
Our surgeries are usually performed at: Surgery Center at the Forum, 1410 Forum Katy Parkway, Suite 102 Columbia, MO 65203
You will usually be seen again after the initial post-operative visit in one to two weeks. If you have any questions or problems, please contact Dr. Keithahn at 573-777-8738. She can be reached after hours if needed at this number.